Static electricity and shock when touching a touchscreen

When using touchscreens, individuals may occasionally experience a small shock when touching them. This phenomenon is often caused by static electricity, which can build up due to various environmental and material factors. Understanding these factors can help reduce discomfort when using touchscreens.

Factors contributing to static charge:
Different materials and environmental conditions can affect static charge build-up. Synthetic garments, such as those made of nylon, acrylic and fleece, tend to hold more static electricity than natural materials such as cotton or linen. This is due to the material properties of synthetic fabrics. In addition, floor coverings such as linoleum and rubber soles of shoes can contribute to static charge build-up.

Influence of materials on shocks:
Materials such as rubber and synthetic fabrics increase the likelihood of shocks when touching a touchscreen. For example, shoes with rubber soles contribute more to static discharge than shoes with leather soles. These materials tend to hold static charge and release it when touching conductive surfaces such as touchscreens.

When experiencing shock when using touchscreens, it is important to consider the materials of clothing, footwear and floor coverings. Synthetic materials and rubber surfaces often contribute to static charge build-up, which can lead to uncomfortable shocks when touching the screen. Reducing this static charge can be achieved by using natural materials and avoiding synthetic surfaces.